I've gone through waves of health conscientiousness in the past and then I'd fall off the natural wagon and eat/do WHATEVER. So, by no means have I been a stickler about the natural way of life but, here I am back on the wagon to the natural side again, and I'm ready to go far, far away from a lot of the unnatural. And, the cool thing is that I'm able to pack my family (hubby and baby) on the wagon with me AND hubby is totally supportive of the lifestyle change.
Why did I fall off the wagon in the past?
Convenience of the unnatural stuff
$$ of the unnatural vs. natural
Family & friends influence
World & advertisement temptations
Taste & appeal of unnatural stuff
I didn't realize what was really in unnatural things
I was lazy from time to time
Lack of time
(the list could go on and on)
Like I mentioned, this isn't just about eating natural stuff but also natural living. No, we're not moving to Pennsylvania or any other Amish communities (although, I'm a huge fan of how they do a lot of things). No, we probably won't ever be as "natural" as I'd like us to be. Yes, we will occasionally eat the unnatural things and use the unnatural things. However, we're going to give it a shot and do as much as we can to accomplish the goal of "getting back to nature." We pray that God provides the means for us to do so since it isn't cheap sometimes to do the natural thing and we pray for the endurance, perseverance, desire, etc. to do the natural thing most of the time.
What changes have we made already?
Well, we chose 1 day per week to call our "junk food day" and we've chosen to also enjoy unnatural stuff on special occasions (because let's face it, unnatural stuff makes appearances at A LOT of those occasions).
During the most recent grocery shopping trip, I was diligent about reading labels and not putting things in my cart that contained "x,y, and z" that I couldn't pronounce and didn't know what in the world it was, etc.
We don't "keep" junk food in the house.
I've looked up several "natural" blogs, sites, etc. in my quest toward the natural and I've found many recipes already.
Here's a recipe for Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent that I saw on a friend's blog (thanks, Nicole!) that I'm ready to try as soon as we get through the laundry detergent that we JUST bought at Costco. And, I'm going to try the homemade laundry dryer sheet idea that Nicole provided, too.
Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent
Ingredients
1 gallon jar
1 bar natural soap (Nicole used Dr. Bronners)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda
Directions
- Grate bar of soap--either by hand or in food processor.
- Mix grated soap with Borax and Washing Soda.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup detergent over clothes. Makes 1/3 amount of a 1 gallon jar (good tester batch).
Homemade Laundry Dryer Sheet
4 safety pins attached to an old rag in the dryer
Here we go...
Hey! I never read that book--I should check it out! We watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (I think we saw it for free on Hulu)and were won over on buying a juicer! Also-I should update that laundry detergent post. I don't use the dryer sheet idea anymore, but instead put 1/4 cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle of our washing machine and haven't missed the safety pin rag at all!! And one time, when we went to make the detergent, we were out of washing soda, so we just subbed baking soda to see what would happen...well it still worked pretty well! So now we use all of those same ingredients and proportions but throw in an extra cup of baking soda if we have it for extra oomph!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update, Nicole! Your experience, advice, and expertise with the homemade laundry detergent is very helpful. :)
ReplyDeleteMy friends were just talking about vinegar yesterday...that stuff is good for all kinds of things! I'm going to have to get into the vinegar mode. Rusty won't be a fan of it because he can't stand the smell, so I'll have to use it while he's at work. ;)
I really recommend this book "The end to overeating." I'm still working my way through it, but it's definitely a big eye-opener. And, I'll have to watch the movie that you recommended, too.