Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Overeating...Gluttony...Sin (gotquestions.org and The end of overeating.)

Over-eater.  Yes, that used to be me!  Overeating.  Yes, I did that quite often.  Overeat=Gluttony

Recently, in my "Answers to 6 Questions" blog, I mentioned overeating and said that I'd go more in depth with that issue.  I'm still just scratching the surface with this post about it and plan on adding more about the topic in the future.  I'm also in the middle of reading a book right now about overeating...it's called "The End of Overeating" by David Kessler

  

I was an over-eater for years and that "habit" seemed to ingrain itself into my life.  I allowed overeating to essentially take-over, take control, shackle me, ruin my life, pull me away from the truth of the Scripture, cause me to be the woman that God did not intend for me to be, etc.  I used overeating (food) as a coping mechanism, a celebratory event, an easily attainable and legal drug, a god, comfort, and something to do when I was bored...the list goes on and on.

Overeating was something that I allowed to come into my life (and remain in my life) for many reasons:
the environment that I grew up in
family & friends overeating
poor biblical instruction/teaching during childhood
lack of knowledge of the Scripture
giving in to temptations and the devil's evil ways
allowing the world to influence me
love of the temporary effects
(once again, the list could go on and on)
But, none of these reasons gave me any excuse for my actions in the past and I don't use them as an excuse...I took full blame for my actions, I confessed and repented of them, and I turned from those ways.  I know that God has forgiven me of my sin of overeating and I'm so grateful! 

Biblical teaching, reading the Bible daily, godly family and friends, focusing on God, Christ-centeredness, journaling, and prayer (to name a few) have really helped me overcome my bad habit and move forward on the journey that God has placed before me.     

Honestly, if I'm not careful, mindful, etc. then I do slip back into my old ways and I will admit that it does still happen from time to time.  But, I can see a huge change in how I am now compared to how I used to be; and, when I do revert back to those old ways then I talk to God about it, ask Him to help me get back to the straight and narrow path, and I get my focus back on Him.  I'm definitely not saying that I am "perfect" when it comes to eating and I keep praying that God continues to guide me in the way that He wants me to be with food.

Here's what the website www.gotquestions.org says about overeating...gluttony...sin:  

Question: "Is gluttony a sin? What does the Bible say about overeating?"

Answer:
Gluttony seems to be a sin that Christians like to ignore. We are often quick to label smoking and drinking as sins, but for some reason gluttony is accepted or at least tolerated. Many of the arguments used against smoking and drinking, such as health and addiction, apply equally to overeating. Many believers would not even consider having a glass of wine or smoking a cigarette but have no qualms about gorging themselves at the dinner table. This should not be!

Proverbs 23:20-21warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.”Proverbs 28:7declares, “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.”Proverbs 23:2proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”

Physical appetites are an analogy of our ability to control ourselves. If we are unable to control our eating habits, we are probably also unable to control other habits, such as those of the mind (lust, covetousness, anger) and unable to keep our mouths from gossip or strife. We are not to let our appetites control us, but we are to have control over our appetites. (SeeDeuteronomy 21:20,Proverbs 23:2,2 Peter 1:5-7,2 Timothy 3:1-9, and2 Corinthians 10:5.) The ability to say “no” to anything in excess—self-control—is one of the fruits of the Spirit common to all believers (Galatians 5:22).

God has blessed us by filling the earth with foods that are delicious, nutritious, and pleasurable. We should honor God's creation by enjoying these foods and by eating them in appropriate quantities. God calls us to control our appetites, rather than allowing them to control us.
Recommended Resources:Eat This and Live by Don Colbert, M.D..
While he is not the author of every article on GotQuestions.org, for citation purposes, you may reference our CEO, S. Michael Houdmann.


Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/gluttony-sin.html#ixzz2ZnlQ7xZJ

No comments:

Post a Comment