Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Spilled Water & Attitude Change from "Annoyed" to Christ-like Thoughts


Spilled water...

I'm not really sure how it happened, but as soon as I heard something knock against the glass on the end table, the clanking sound of the glass making contact with the table, and water going "all over" I knew that I had to act fast.  My initial reaction was "QUICK! Grab everything that could get water damage."  Well, it ended up being that our end table (and below) had all kinds of things on it...remote, phone, paperwork, game controller, lamp, etc.  So, I started removing everything that I could from the end table, as fast as I could, laid things out to dry on a different table, and then started soaking up the water (from the table and the floor) with paper towels.

As I was cleaning up, an "annoyed" feeling started to come over me.  I began to think about how I had not planned for this to happen, how I had enough to take care of without any extra stuff being added to the "to do" list, and how I didn't want to deal with/do this right now.  It made me think about how many things happen in life that we don't expect and that there are tons of "annoyances" that can come along, out of the blue, every single day.  I also realized that I shouldn't have this huge "annoyed" feeling and that I needed God to work on my heart.

I looked up some Bible verses so that I could better handle situations (and mostly my attitude) when unexpected "annoyances" happen and hopefully my view/attitude of these types of situations will be different next time.

"But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.  For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please."  Galatians 5:16-17

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."  Galatians 5:22-23

I realized that the situation could have been worse; it was only a glass of water that spilled and it didn't cause too much damage.  I know that my "annoyed" feeling came from reactions that the world would give to the situation.  And, I knew that my feelings were sinful.

"And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you formerly walked according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience."  Ephesians 2:1-2

I know that I need to be careful how I react in life...and, how I act.

"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil.  So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."  Ephesians 5:15-16

"Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world..." Philippians 2:14-15

And, remembering these words will help me avoid the "annoyed" feeling when unexpected things come my way.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!  Let your gentle spirit be known to all men.  The Lord is near.  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.  The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." Ephesians 4:4-9

Funny thing (now that I think of it) is that my hubby spilled water this morning as soon as he got out of bed (he usually doesn't have a water glass in the bedroom, but he did last night, and he knocked it over when he turned off his alarm.)  It must be the day for spilling water.  LOL!  Many of the previously wet things are now dry so it's time to put them in their proper places.  May you all have a "dry" and "UN-annoyed" day.  :D

      

2 comments:

  1. What a great collection of verses!!
    So excited that you guys are so close Nicole!!!! Praying for you three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! It's so wonderful to have the Bible at our finger tips at all times-I'm definitely grateful for all of the guidance that it provides. And, thank you so much for the prayers! We REALLY appreciate them! :)

      Delete